|Picture courtesy of http://www.travel-australia-online.com|
Western Australia Facts
- Western Australia is bigger than Europe and covers one third of the Australian continent, yet only two million Australians live here.
- Perth is the most isolated capital city in the world. The closest city, Adelaide in South Australia 2,200km away.
- Western Australia is approximately ten times the size of New Zealand.
- Its capital Perth is closer to Singapore and Jakarta than it is to Canberra(Australian Capital Territory).
-With more than 270 operating mines, Western Australia is a leading supplier of many commodities including alumina, diamonds, iron ore and mineral sands, – monazite; ilmenite; rutile/synruite and zircon.
- The town of Kalgoorlie in WA is Australia's largest producer of gold.
- Agriculture is Western Australia’s second major export industry.
- Broome holds the largest pearl industry in the world.
- Western Australia has the best economy in the country.
- Western Australia has the greatest concentration of Aboriginal art in the world at the Burrup Peninsula, Dampier. There are more than 10,000 ancient rock engravings, some dating back 10,000 years.
- Perth has the largest inner city park in the world (Kings Park) and bigger than New York's Central Park.